The following links are here to help you find tools and resources to support you in your work. Please remember that, before you embark on any event or programme, you have discussed it with your line manager. There are a couple of links which are available to Imperial staff only, we continue to search for options for staff working beyond Imperial.
Please visit this page regularly as links and events will be added and reviewed to ensure they are current and meet our ongoing development needs.
If you are aware of a useful link which doesn’t appear here, please drop us a line with the details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Working in the CRN
This resource is designed to help staff understand the work and structure of the NIHR and where they fit in. It is designed for both new starters and existing staff, and is a useful resource for everyone to read through. It is intended to be your go-to place to build your knowledge and understanding of the CRN. Take a look.
- Research Mentor Directory
Take a look at this video explaining the Research Mentor Directory.
You can register on the site either as a coach or mentor to offer support to others, or register to receive coaching or mentoring.
- IT Skills Pathway
Quality assured Digital Skills and Microsoft Office learning and assessment content. From basic digital literacy and skills through to advanced Microsoft Excel and Word training. Take a look.
Blog: Rethinking your CPD: Lifting the mask of self-doubt by John Castledine
- ECG Assessment: An Introduction for Healthcare Providers
Understand the principles of electrocardiography and learn a step-by-step approach to the ECG test, with this free online course.
- Informed Consent Fundamentals
– COVID-19 Observational studies – a supplementary programme available on NIHR Learn
- Vaccination training
– COVID-19 Vaccine Trials Training – available on NIHR Learn
– Current Government guidance on GOV.uk
– Immunisation programme available on e-Learning for Healthcare
- Healthcare Training Academy
Offers training courses to workplaces for revalidation and mandatory training requirements for anyone working in healthcare. For example, venepuncture training. Visit Eventbrite for upcoming sessions. (There is usually a fee).
- Data management
– Data Management for Clinical Research – course available on Coursera
– Delivering Research Data Management Services – course available on FutureLearn
- Cerner training (available for staff with an Imperial account)
Cerner e-learning courses are on Moodle, which can be found using the start button on your PC & then going to the Imperial NHS Applications folder.
If Moodle requires you to log in, please use your Imperial Username/Password – it can also be accessed remotely here. On the Moodle home page on the left hand side there is a Quick Course List field to search for the courses you require.
Take a look at the Cerner reference guides on the Imperial intranet.
- Venepuncture (available for staff with an Imperial account)
In the first instance, make contact with the Vascular Access Administrator to get your interest registered: email@example.com.
- Using Zoom to hold virtual meetings
– Useful guidance on a number of related aspects, devised by the team in NE&C
– Zoom resources site created by the CRN CC
– Participating in a Zoom Webinar – quick start guide (for sharing with participants)
- Developing reflective skills
– Blog: Reflections on Reflection by John Castledine
– Guidance from the Royal College of Nursing – 8 ways to improve your reflection
– Take a look at these reflective activities
– CRN intranet page
– Support in response to COVID-19
– Imperial intranet page
– Mindfulness for well-being and peak performance – course on FutureLearn
- Resources to help you through the COVID-19 pandemic
– Available on NIHR Learn. Many resources available here, including:
Understanding the science of COVID-19
Leading through uncertainty
Useful websites and contacts
– Contact the Clinical Academic Training Office (CATO) at Imperial: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Clinical Research Training Framework (Imperial College Academic Health Science Centre)
– RCN (Royal College of Nursing)
– UKCRF (The UK Clinical Research Facility Network)
– NIHR Clinical Research Network
– Complex Innovative Design podcasts
– Next Steps in Delivering Clinical research
– CRN Pan London Induction
This site is currently being reviewed. Your feedback is appreciated; please send any comments you have to email@example.com
– NIHR Academy
– UKCRN (UK Clinical Research Network)
– Imperial intranet for FAQ on specifics around work related issues
- Future Learn – for free, online courses
– Improving Healthcare Through Clinical Research
– What is Health Research?
- Coursera – also offer a wide range of free, online, programmes, for example:
– Understanding Clinical Research: Behind the statistics
– Data management for clinical research
– Design and interpretation of clinical trials
- Development and Support
Take a look at this series of webinars from the NIHR. Developed by the NIHR Academy Members during COVID-19, the series aims to help develop and support people in their careers through training.
The topics covered include:
- Coaching for success
- Optimising your energy for peak performance
- Presenting on the virtual stage
- Effective mentoring: how to be the best mentor you can be
- Collaborating virtually through disruption
- Leading through uncertainty: Finding growth and meaning through times of unprecedented change
- Mentoring matters: Why choose a mentor and who should they be
View the webinars on YouTube.